Compilation error after a local patch (Was: Help with an error

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 20 07:57:36 UTC 2011

[Useless subject replaced]

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:18:16AM +0530,
 Vignesh Gadiyar <vcgadiyar at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> The named binary is running fine

[...]

> But while compiling using 'make' it gives me an error saying
> "undefined reference to 'my_function' " and "Leaving directory
> 'bind-9.8.0-P2/bin/dig' ".

I'm confused. Did it compile or not? If not, how can you have a
working binary?

Otherwise, your question is a basic C language problem (your code
calls my_function() but the linker does not find the code of this
function anywhere), unrelated to BIND. If you are a beginner in C, it
may be careful to start with a simpler program than BIND.