DNS Caching Issue

Sathyan Arjunan (sarjunan) [CONTRACTOR] sarjunan at micron.com
Mon Jul 25 14:22:00 UTC 2011

Recent days, I am facing frequent caching issues with my DNS servers
which are responsible for recursive lookup to external queries. As a
temporary solution, we used to refresh the named daemon to clear the
cache. To isolate this issue we upgraded the BIND to "BIND 9.7.3" but
even after the upgrade issue repeats.

If I do a nslookup for "mail.sin.gpi-g.com", it fails.

nslookup mail.sin.gpi-g.com
Server:         dnsserver

Address:        x.x.x.x#53

** server can't find mail.sin.gpi-g.com: SERVFAIL

To fix this I have to restart the named daemon in caching DNS server.
Once I restart, the lookup resolves well. However the issue appears
again in few days. Any thoughts?

nslookup mail.sin.gpi-g.com

Server:         dnsserver

Address:        x.x.x.x#53