stub zone

Cathy Almond cathya at isc.org
Tue Jul 26 07:28:16 UTC 2011

On 25/07/11 20:55, ju wusuo wrote:
> Would like to use the BIND stub zone function, however, heard that ISC considers stopping support to stub zone in the future, is that true?

I think we may have confused some people in the past about support for
this because of what's written in the ARM about some configurations that
use stub zones for a child zone on the parent that delegated it instead
of maintaining the NS records directly in the parent zone.

"A stub zone is similar to a slave zone, except that it replicates only
the NS records of a master zone instead of the entire zone. Stub
zones are not a standard part of the DNS; they are a feature specific
to the BIND implementation.
Stub zones can be used to eliminate the need for glue NS record
in a parent zone at the expense of maintaining a stub zone entry
and a set of name server addresses in named.conf. This usage is
not recommended for new configurations, and BIND 9 supports
it only in a limited way. In BIND 4/8, zone transfers of a par-
ent zone included the NS records from stub children of that zone.
This meant that, in some cases, users could get away with con-
figuring child stubs only in the master server for the parent zone.
BIND 9 never mixes together zone data from different zones in this
way. Therefore, if a BIND 9 master serving a parent zone has child
stub zones configured, all the slave servers for the parent zone also
need to have the same child stub zones configured.
Stub zones can also be used as a way of forcing the resolution of
a given domain to use a particular set of authoritative servers.
For example, the caching name servers on a private network us-
ing RFC1918 addressing may be configured with stub zones for
10.in-addr.arpa to use a set of internal name servers as the
authoritative servers for that domain.
"

Basically, the behaviour changed between BIND4/8 and BIND9 and the
particular use case above was discouraged.  But not use of stub zones
entirely.  (We also added static-stub as a new zone type - see the ARM
for details).