stub zone

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 14:32:04 UTC 2011

On Jul 26, 2011, at 10:51 PM, Feng He wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Chris Buxton <chris.p.buxton at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> what's the use of stub zone? I never used it, thanks.
>>
>> A stub zone is conceptually similar to the root hints zone, but for a domain other than the root. It's a way to add NS and glue records to the cache as a way to either optimize recursion performance or overlay a private namespace onto the public Internet.
>>
>> For example, suppose you have a name server with this configuration:
>>
>> options {
>>        <some stuff goes here>
>> };
>>
>> zone "bluecatnetworks.com" {
>>        type stub;
>>        masters { 192.168.0.1; };
>> };
>>

> Thanks.
>
> So, what's the difference between a stub zone and a slave zone?
> I think the configure:
>
> zone "bluecatnetworks.com" {
>       type slave;
>       masters { 192.168.0.1; };
> };
>
> Will be able to have the same effect.

Mostly, yes. The difference is that with the slave zone, the server is authoritative. This may have undesirable side effects:

- You must consider either using a low refresh timer or configuring DNS notify on the master.
- It may cause problems for DNSSEC-aware clients that hit the server.
- It takes more memory and possibly more bandwidth. For a single zone, probably not a problem, but suppose there are 10000 or more zones involved.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks