DNS Racing -Multi ISP load balancing with failover using DNS.

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Jun 2 11:19:27 UTC 2011

>> On 31.05.11 12:27, Phil Mayers wrote:
>>> Not really. Client side sorting may take place (e.g. to comply with RFC
>>> 3484 policies in calls to getaddrinfo) and destroy any server-side
>>> sorting.

On 01.06.11 10:55, Phil Mayers wrote:
> Yes, but the client would then re-sort the data, so it wouldn't achieve
> the original purpose. Sorting the data server side gives you essentially
> no control over which record the client will pick if they are calling
> getaddrinfo, as is likely.

Aha, I've got it. However data sorting at client's side should not affect
much clients, only where
- the client has sorting set up
- the sorting client prefers one of IP's used in RRset.

We have set that up to prefer IPs from our network over foreign.

> As Mark has already pointed out, the approach is not intrinsically
> DNSSEC-hostile. It's perfectly legitimate to serve different data with
> different, valid, signatures. This is what happens with signature regen
> and key rollover. In this case, it would just be a permanent case of
> rollover - one KSK, one ZSK per "dns server" and different copies of the
> zone.

With sorting, they need only one copy of each zone.

> I withhold judgement on whether it's a good approach in general. I
> suspect it's just GSLB-lite personally.

Correct
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.