How to Setup a Name Servers visible on Internet?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Jun 22 12:07:33 UTC 2011

On 21.06.11 12:26, Metropolitan College <Eric Kom> wrote:
>I'm sorry, I forgot that a terminal mail clients don't support HTMl,

They do. However HTML mail is hard to read and even harder to reply.
That's why I didn't read most of your former mails...

>This below is my zone file metropolitanbuntu.co.za.external:

I recommend you skipping the .metropolitanbuntu.co.za. part (bind adds
current ORIGIN to names not terminated by dot) and replace
"metropolitanbuntu.co.za." by "@".

That would make the file easier to read and less prone to errors (mistakes).

@	IN		SOA

>ns1.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.    postmaster.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.     (

ns1	postmaster (

>                                16              ; serial
>                                8H              ; refresh
>                                2H              ; retry
>                                4W              ; expire
>                                1D)             ; default_TTL

>metropolitanbuntu.co.za.        IN      NS
>ns1.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.

... I hope these belong to one line, you can even skip the @ since you are still
defining RRs for @

	IN	NS	ns1

>metropolitanbuntu.co.za.        IN      NS
>ns2.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.

	IN	NS	ns2

>metropolitanbuntu.co.za.        IN      MX      10
>mail.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.

	IN	MX	10	mail

>metropolitanbuntu.co.za.        IN      TXT     "Metropolitan College
>DNS Server."
	IN	TXT	"Metropolitan College DNS Server."

>ns1.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.    IN      A       41.134.194.90

ns1	IN	A	41.134.194.90

>ns2.metropolitanbuntu.co.za.    IN      A       41.134.194.91

ns2	IN	A	41.134.194.91

... etc etc.

Since you clearly DO have A records for your NS'es, I guess the problem is
in the metropolitanbuntu.co.za zone in the internal view. Check that one.

>> Views complicate everything and I don't think there is anymore a real
>> use for them. I strongly suggest you don't use them.
>
>alright!
>
>But since I got the internal services to resolve, if I remove the
>internal resolution, I won't solve request in the case if my internet is
>down?

you _can_ use views but note many of problems with bind come from bad
understanding how views work.

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.