Help with unresolvable domain (subdomain, actually)

David Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 18:57:11 UTC 2011

On 3/2/2011 1:20 PM, Kevin Darcy wrote:

> I'm not saying I agree with this perspective, only that I've dealt with
> load-balancer vendors enough (Cisco in particular) to understand that
> this is where they're coming from.
>
> Besides, what alternative is there? If the load-balancer returns an
> address that it knows to not be working, then it's purposely causing the
> client to go into a relatively-slow connection-timeout failure mode. Is
> that responsible behavior?

Short answer: yes.  The DNS side of the load-balancer has does't know
why it got the query.  Maybe I was trying to ping the endpoint, I could
have been trying to make an FTP connection, or HTTPS, etc.  In order for
it to be consistent, it would have to be able to figure out that a
SERVFAIL should be returned for the query from  my gopher:// connection,
but an IP should be returned for http://.

> If it gives a "normal" response that is
> lacking answer information (NODATA, NXDOMAIN), then this response gets
> negatively cached, and the negative cache entry may delay clients from
> re-trying the resource even after it recovers. So, what's left? NOTIMP?
> FORMERR? REFUSED? NOTAUTH? Those aren't any better than SERVFAIL from a
> strictly functional perspective, and are even more misleading and
> confusing with respect to the real source of the problem.

SERVFAIL caching is coming to a BIND server release this year.  (I
listened to the BIND 9.8 features webinar this morning.  I don't
remember which version (9.9 or 9.10) had this attached to it on the
What's Next slide.)

--
Dave