Slaves and views

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 4 16:46:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

Can a zone file a slave in one view and the same zone file
be served by another view?

I'm going to split our authoritative servers into internal
and external views.  My question concerns zones that we
secondary for other organizations, slaved to masters at
their sites.

I know I could configure each of their zones with separate files
in each the two views, listen/use an additional address that
accesses our local view, and tell these peer organizations to
notify and allow transfers from this additional address.
I'm not (yet) worried about dynamic updates, if there are
any.

Is there a way I can handle their zones without making
these other sites configure another address, and I still
run just one bind instance?

Other ideas are: running a separate bind instance for
these zones, or making one view a slave to the other.
Possibly forwarding of some kind, another thing I haven't
done much.

John Wobus
Cornell