Slaves and views

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 02:55:07 UTC 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:42 PM, terry wrote:

> 2011/3/5 Chris Buxton <chris.p.buxton at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:46 AM, John Wobus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can a zone file a slave in one view and the same zone file
>>> be served by another view?
>>
>> You can do this for static master zones, but it's not a good idea for slaves.
>>
>> Depending on the use case for your internal view, you may be able to solve this better using forwarding, stub zones, or (BIND 9.8 only) static-stub zones.
>

> Chris,
>
> What's the difference between a stub zone and a static-stub zone?
> I have been thinking they are the same.

With a stub zone, your server would ask the server with bad NS records for the NS record set, and would then try to resolve all queries against the zone using that NS rrset.

With a static-stub zone (new in BIND 9.8), your server would not prime its cache with the bad NS rrset from the authoritative server. It would simply start all query resolution for the domain in question (possibly bigger than the zone) at that server, thus bypassing the bad NS rrset.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks