dots in hostnames problem

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Mar 9 20:13:51 UTC 2011

On Mar 9, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Matt Rae wrote:

> Hi, I'm working on setting up a slave dns server. Dots have
> historically been used in the hostnames here. The dots cause the
> resulting zone file from a zone transfer to have $ORIGIN automatically
> set assuming the dots are indicating a subdomain.
>
> Here's an example of what's happening:
>
> master zone file:
>
> $ORIGIN example.com.
> host1.set1        A        x.x.x.x
> host2.set1        A        x.x.x.x
> host3.set1        A        x.x.x.x
>
> slave's zone file after axfr:
>
> $ORIGIN set1.example.com.
> host1               A        x.x.x.x
> host2               A        x.x.x.x
> host3               A        x.x.x.x
>
> Is there a way to have it not change the ORIGIN and assume the dots
> are a subdomain?

I see that there have already been a bunch of replies saying, in
essence "the bit after the dot is gong to be a different label"...

My question is "why do you care?" -- the slave files should be treated
as opaque blobs of data.

Yes, they look like real zone files (and *are* real zone files) but if
you pretend that they are instead a blob of unparsable data that BIND
writes out (and later read in), you will be much much better off...

If you want to do some processing on the data, etc go to the source
and read the files off the master (and / or AXFR it).