Operating system recommendation

Dan dan at sunsaturn.com
Fri Mar 11 02:55:17 UTC 2011

I think there are really 2 sides to this, whether your after an OS easy to
maintain, with great stability, or best performance. I think you'll fall
in love with freebsd if you give it a try, on otherhand if your after as
many queries per second for a machine as possible, I have had better
experience using epoll on linux vs kqueue on freebsd, programming network
applications with libevent.

Then you have to factor in if you plan on getting the "latest" hardware
all the time, which linux tends to support much quicker. Factor I usually
consider is how much more performance vs headache of linux administration.
Also consider freebsd has native ZFS support making it easy to swap in/out
drives quickly for any I/O bottlenecks, as well as much more configuration
options for anything you install though a "make config" in ports
directory.

The last consideration should be your knowledge set of unix in general,
if your linux understanding is really good, then it may be time to
graduate from newbie linux admin to senior solaris/freebsd admin, only
installing linux where necessary to make your life as easy as possible.

Dan.