Stub zone vs forward zone

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Mon Mar 14 10:43:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am running a local instance of bind on my notebook to spare myself
some rather annoying reconfiguration orgies that are bound to happen
when changing networks.

On my biggest customer's network, I am trying to be able to access
their reverse DNS, which is (don't ask) not loaded on the servers that
my notebook is assigned via DHCP as forwarders.

I have thus configured these zones locally, experimenting with
differnt configuration types:

zone "2.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type stub;
        masters { 10.1.2.11; 10.1.2.45; };
        file "stub/2.1.10.in-addr.arpa";
        forwarders { };
};

zone "101.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type forward;
        forwarders { 10.1.101.6; };
        forward only;
};

The stub zone works; the forward zone doesn't. When I ask my local
bind for 6.101.1.10.in-addr.arpa (PTR), I get an immediate NXDOMAIN
without bind even trying to talk to the actual name server.

I can ping 10.1.101.6 just fine.

I must admit that I haven't yet full understood the difference between
a stub zone and a forward zone, any why i need the forwarders { } on
the stub zone.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Greetings
Marc