Reliability and performance on a simple caching BIND9 server for uncached queries

David Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:41:20 UTC 2011

On 3/11/2011 8:59 PM, Khoury Brazil wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Doing a simple test using nslookup doing uncached external lookups (on
> ubuntu and one windows client):
> No delay using nslookup or dig directly from my bind boxes to the
> external name servers. This indicates to me that the bottle neck
> doesn't exist between my internal and ISP's name servers.
> No delay when using nslookup or dig from a client machine on my
> network to the external name servers. This indicates to me that the
> client isn't the issue.
> A long delay with ubuntu clients looking up against my internal BIND
> boxes; Timeouts with Windows and nslookup (due to its shorter
> timeout).

Are you forwarding to your ISP's nameservers from your servers?

If so, stop that.

If I'm intepreting the statement "No delay when using nslookup or dig
from a client machine on my network to the external name servers"
correctly, there is nothing stopping your DNS server from sending
queries directly out to the external servers on the Internet.  That way
you can bypass any problems your ISP's nameservers may be having.

--
Dave