Zones not getting transferred after a restart

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Mar 15 16:36:09 UTC 2011

Hi,

we have an internal distribution point running BIND 9.5.0-P2 (SLES 11.1
distribution package). It slaves about 1800 zones from a commercial DNS
management software running on 127.0.0.1:8054 and distributes them
towards our servers.

Whenever we restart BIND on that system, the 1800 zones are loaded
within two seconds (1800 loaded serial xxxxx entries, running), but it
takes up to 30 minutes (26 minutes the last time) where it does not do
any AXFR upstream and logs

15-Mar-2011 09:36:47.334 zone kongress.xxx.de/IN: notify from
127.0.0.1#8054: refresh in progress, refresh check queued

on every notify it receives. I cannot really see SOA queries upstream
either. When that time has passed by it catches up with the zone
transfers.

Other than having "edns no" and "request-ixfr no" set for the upstream
server (due to bugs in this field) the configuration is pretty standard.
I'm not really opposed to updating the BIND to a newer version, but
given I'd have to go away from the distribution package where I feel
fine using it (firewalled system, only reachable by our other servers)
I'd rather know for sure that this problem is solved. I see similar
issues on our frontend servers running 9.7.3.

Can anyone explain how I can speedup this progress? Also I'd like to
disable/tune down the

15-Mar-2011 08:25:36.828 zone xxx.in-addr.arpa/IN: refresh:
skipping zone transfer as master 127.0.0.1#8054 (source 0.0.0
.0#0) is unreachable (cached)

thing. Good idea, but stopping all zone transfers for 10 minutes from
the only master just because it was unreachable for a few seconds is a
bad idea.

I have searched for a named.conf knob and have failed to find any.
Closest I have found is serial-query-rate, which is not set in our
environment and should default to 20.

Bernhard