Stub zone vs forward zone

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Mar 18 14:45:30 UTC 2011

On 18.03.11 10:15, Marc Haber wrote:
> So, a "type forward" zone is the right thing to do for the reverse DNS
> zones of RFC1918 networks that are reachable via a VPN link.

I wouldn't say so. You need forward zone, if you:
- don't know which servers provide the zone, so you need to query recursive
servers
- want to fall back to standard resolution if forward servers are
unreachable.

Otherwise stub or static-stub zones will do what you want.

> However, my setup using a "type forward" zone doesn't work, and bind does
> not even try querying the forwarders listed in the type forward zone
> statement when I try to obtain a PTR record for an IP on these nets.

do you have recursion enabled?

We are but packets in the Internet of life (userfriendly.org)