Not Exact error

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Mar 21 23:50:06 UTC 2011

In message <F7C01AC623C2BD48A4B5A1E91BA1DC562456C33BE7 at 2008MBX.utmck.edu>, "Dav
enport, Steve M" writes:
> Can someone tell me the cause of the "not exact" error and how to troublesh=
> oot?
>
> 21-Mar-2011 11:01:24.931 xfer-in: error: transfer of '219.130.IN-ADDR.ARPA/=
> IN' from
> 130.219.31.5#53: failed while receiving responses: not exact
> After this message appears, a retry on the transfer runs error free.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Not exact indicates that the nameserver found a change in a IXFR
delta which it could not apply to the cleanly.  It got asked to
remove a record which didn't exist.  It got asked to add a record
that already existed.  The TTL of the added record doesn't match
that of the existing records of the RRset.  If named detects a
anomally like this it just re-transfers the zone.

The following bug fix address one potential cause of these messages.
The fix is currentl available in the following release: 9.6.3, 9.7.3
and 9.8.0.

3007.   [bug]           Named failed to preserve the case of domain names in
                        rdata which is not compressible when writing master
                        files.  [RT #22863]

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org