can I set the second nameserver to a public dns cache?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at tux.org
Mon Mar 28 12:49:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 08:25:46PM +0800, terry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have only one nameserver for a domain.
> Can I set the second nameserver for this domain to a public dns cache?
> for example:
>

> abc.com.  IN  NS  ns1.abc.com.
> abc.com.  IN  NS  ns2.abc.com.
>
> ns2.abc.com.  IN  A  8.8.8.8  # 8.8.8.8 is google's public dns server
>

> Since DNS cache does a rec-resolver, so it will also answer with the
> correct result?

You can set another peer nameserver to be a public, private,
commercial, or other name server as follows:

; Zone file for abc.com.
$TTL	xxx
@	IN SOA	...
	IN NS	ns1.abc.com.
	IN NS	google-public-dns-a.google.com.
	IN NS	res060.ns.uu.net.

[Note the blank space in front of the [unneeded] "IN" in each "NS"
above: they each inherit the LHS from the record above.]

Assuming that an IP address that is not yours will "never" change is a
frightening assumption, especially when proved untrue.  Don't plant
someon else's IP address in your name space, unless there is a firm
agreement between yourself and them about why it's there and how changes
will be communicated.

--
**