TTLs and Timeout Question

listmail listmail at entertech.com
Tue Mar 29 16:58:27 UTC 2011

I'm investigating the failure of a slave server during a network outage at a
primary server.

The slave server was running and answering queries, but not delivering results
for domains for which it is authoritative during the outage. Since the outage
occurred in the middle of the night, I have no tests during the outage period
and have to infer from logs and the behavior of everything that depended on
this server.

The SOA TTL was 1 week on most zones, but the individual records had short
TTLs, on the order of an hour. The outage lasted long enough for these shorter
TTLs to expire.

My question is: Will a BIND slave server stop serving RRs when their
individual TTLs have expired, or only when the SOA TTL has expired?

Thanks in Advance,
--Bill