Trouble loading a zone file after updating BIND

Mike Diggins mike.diggins at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 31 02:54:47 UTC 2011

I have a "hidden" master name server for the domain domain.CA. The name
servers for this domain are in the subdomain sub.Domain.CA as ns1 and ns2.
Those are the name servers my clients query. The zone file starts off like
this:

$TTL 3600
Domain.CA.  IN  SOA  ns1.sub.Domain.CA.  dnsgrp.Domain.CA. (
                         20782   ; Serial
                         3600    ; Refresh
                         1800    ; Retry
                         604800  ; Expire
                         3600 )  ; Negative TTL
;
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;                                Name Servers
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         IN  NS  ns1.sub.Domain.CA.
                         IN  NS  ns2.sub.Domain.CA.
...etc

On the master name server, I'm upgrading BIND from an older version,
9.2.1, to 9.7. However, when I attempt to load this zone Domain.CA, it
gives me an error:

Mar 29 09:52:13 ns-master named: zone Domain.CA/IN: NS 'ns2.sub.Domain.CA'
has no address records (A or AAAA)
Mar 29 09:52:13 ns-master named: zone Domain.CA/IN: NS 'ns1.sub.Domain.CA'
has no address records (A or AAAA)
Mar 29 09:52:13 ns-master named: zone Domain.CA/IN: not loaded due to
errors.

The A records for the two nameservers exist in the sub.Domain.CA zone
file. I can fix the error by adding the two nameserver A records to the
Domain.CA zone file but I'm wondering why this is an error with 9.7, and
not 9.2.1, and is this the correct way to fix this?

I hope this isn't DNS 101 ;)

-Mike