minimal-responses yes; to prevent downstream MS DNS server following DNS delegations

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Tue May 3 14:29:59 UTC 2011

In the Windows DNS Manager, open the Properties page of the applicable DNS server. On the Forwarders tab, click Edit and enter the IP address(es) of the BIND server(s) to which you want the Windows DNS server to forward queries. Click OK, and now back on the Forwarders tab, uncheck "Use root hints if no forwarders are available." That will constrain the Windows DNS server to using only the BIND servers you have configured. This description is for Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS, but similar functionality is available for other Windows versions.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School