forward first: iterative or recursive query

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:47:10 UTC 2011

If recursion is disabled, forwarding doesn't happen. I think you've confused some terms and configurations.

Don't use forwarding from a recursive server to a non-recursive server. Use a stub zone instead, if you can't rely on the recursion process to find the correct server to query.

If server 2 is auth-only or otherwise can't resolve the address of www.abc.com, then forwarding a query to it is not going to work. However, if server 1 is a caching server and is able to resolve www.abc.com, then using a stub zone for example.com will work; server 2 will send the CNAME record to server 1, and then server 1 will resolve the final address record on its own.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks