how to check if a slave zone is expired

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu May 5 18:48:14 UTC 2011

On 05/05/2011 04:35, Chris Thompson wrote:
> On May 4 2011, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/2011 01:22, hugo hugoo wrote:
>>> So..no way to check that a zone is expired?
>>
>> You're asking the wrong question. The correct question is, "How can I
>> make sure that a zone is up to date on all of the slaves?" You do that
>> by querying the SOA record for the zone on each slave and compare the
>> serial number to the master.
>
> This isn't necessarily the "right question". It is perfectly possible
> for a slave's copy of a zone to be up to date, but still be about to
> expire, because the slave has been unable to *confirm* that it is up
> to date for the expiry period (due to network problems, configuration
> errors, or whatever).

Sorry, I should have said, "Given the precondition you've established
that you don't want to look at the logs ..." There is no way to tell if
a zone is about to expire on the slave without looking at the logs, so
querying for the SOA is the only option available. If the query fails,
you know that the zone has expired. :)

			-- OK Go