[dns-operations] Bind 9.8.0 intermittent problem with non-recursive responses

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri May 20 02:44:05 UTC 2011

> Odds are good this is a software bug in BIND.

I can absolutely confirm that this is a bug in BIND 9; we're aware of
it and have been trying to reproduce it for some time.  Unfortunately
it seems to be triggered by some environmental condition we haven't
identified yet--the bug has never once turned up on any of our servers.
The reason for this will probably seem head-deskingly obvious once
we've figured out what it is.

One of the people who reported the problem is able to get the bug
to occur reliably on his system; with his help we've been able to
narrow the general area of code that has the bug in it.  I hope to
have a fix soon, before 9.8.1 ships (but after 9.8.1b1, which is
already in the pipeline).

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.