subdomain delegation question

dalton stickney daltons.stickney at gmail.com
Sun May 22 20:36:43 UTC 2011

Hello all
,
I have what may be an easy question here, but it's been a while since I did
much with Bind, so I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing something wrong here.

What I'm trying to do, should be relatively simple i think, but for some
reason i cannot get it to work. I'm trying to delegate a subdomain to a
separate nameserver.

My zone file looks like this:

$TTL 86400

; Start of Authority

stor.company.com.            86400      IN SOA   ns1.company.com.
  hostmaster.company.com. (

                                                  2011052000 ; Serial

                                                  3600       ; Refresh

                                                  900        ; Retry

                                                  864000     ; Expire

                                                  86400      ; Min TTL

                                                  )

; Host

sip.stor.company.com.                    IN A 10.10.10.10

; Nameserver

subdomain.stor.company.com.                IN NS sip.stor.company.com.

stor.company.com.                        IN NS ns2.company.com.

stor.company.com.                        IN NS ns1.company.com.

I have the appropriate entry for stor.company.com in named.conf.

I can resolve the nameserver for the subdomain: sip.stor.company.com.

But i cannot dig for ns for subdomain.stor.company.com, it times out.

Am I missing something obvious in my config?

Thanks alot for any help!

Regards,

Dalton