IPv4 & IPv6 named processes on a dual stack host

Eivind Olsen eivind at aminor.no
Tue May 24 19:37:25 UTC 2011

Timothy Stoddard wrote:

> Has any one run into a issue with two named processes running on the same
> host.  We want to begin serving up DNS on our IPv6 address space and do
> not
> want to duplicate each of our DNS servers.  We have started two named
> processes one with "-6" option.  All seems to be working.  I am concerned
> how journal files will be handled.  Question will the "-4" named process
> coexist with "-6" on the same box???

Well, I guess it should work, assuming you let it deal with separate
files/directories and don't mix too much between the two instances.

But - why would you prefer to do 2 separate instances, instead of just
having 1 listening on both IPv4 and IPv6? Just run it without any "-4" or
"-6" options, and tell it to listen to your IPv6-address(es) as well, with
adding something like this to your options block in named.conf:

    listen-on-v6    { any; };

I see you mention you run ISC DHCP 4.1 of some version: yes, the DHCP
software can currently only run either IPv4 or IPv6. BIND can easily deal
with both protocols at the same time.

Regards
Eivind Olsen