IPv4 & IPv6 named processes on a dual stack host

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Tue May 24 20:48:12 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 13:22 -0500, Timothy Stoddard wrote:

> Has any one run into a issue with two named processes running on the
> same host.  We want to begin serving up DNS on our IPv6 address space
> and do not want to duplicate each of our DNS servers.  We have started
> two named processes one with "-6" option.  All seems to be working.  I
> am concerned how journal files will be handled.  Question will the
> "-4" named process coexist with "-6" on the same box???

Are you nuts?!?

Are you planning on just serving IPv6 answers over IPv6 transport
and IPv4 answers over IPv4 transport?

Please don't try - run dual-stack (every box runs both addressing) and
have a single instance of BIND listening on both IPv4 and IPv6
transports.... serving both types of addresses as needed.

Your forward zone files should containing both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
(as appropriate).
You'll obviously just need to add a suitable zone or two for your IPv6
reverses! (to match your IPv4 reverses).

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - Sth Africa
 /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE