recursive lookups problems with 9.8.0_p2

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at
Mon May 30 15:56:06 UTC 2011


after upgrading to 9.8.0p2 I have notices problems with recursive queries.
The server sometimes does not return answer for e.g. 

Repeated lookups for sometimes do, sometimes do not return the
answer, only the first CNAME, but the nameserver did know where the CNAMEs
point to and answered when I asked.
A few times I was unable to get the full answer for quite long time.
(and users were complaining).

I don't have this problem with 9.7.3...

I found the 9.8.0 CNAMEs chain problem reported in April without further

I think this situation can cause real troubles, because stub resolvers are
not expected to lookup the CNAMEs themselves, are they?

Example, a few lookups in the short time:

uhlar at fantomas% dig @


;; ANSWER SECTION:          65      IN      CNAME     3035    IN      CNAME  60      IN      A  60      IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:        600605  IN      NS        600605  IN      NS

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:          1235    IN      A          1235    IN      A

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; WHEN: Mon May 30 17:46:30 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 178

uhlar at fantomas% dig @


;; ANSWER SECTION:          64      IN      CNAME

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; WHEN: Mon May 30 17:46:31 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 54

uhlar at fantomas% dig @


;; ANSWER SECTION:          29      IN      CNAME     2999    IN      CNAME  24      IN      A  24      IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:        600569  IN      NS        600569  IN      NS

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:          1199    IN      A          1199    IN      A

Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar at ;
Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address.
Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT akukolvek reklamnu postu.
REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.

More information about the bind-users mailing list