DNSSEC and forward zones

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Nov 2 14:02:45 UTC 2011

Bill Owens <owens at nysernet.org> wrote on 11/02/2011 09:26:07 AM:

> I happened to be looking for some other details on mDNS yesterday
> and noticed that the current draft version of the spec reserves .local:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-14
>    This document specifies that the DNS top-level domain ".local." is a
>    special domain with special semantics, namely that any fully-
>    qualified name ending in ".local." is link-local, and names within
>    this domain are meaningful only on the link where they originate.
>
> At the same time it also specifies that .local can only be used with
> mDNS, so it isn't really suitable for this use. . .

But it does provide some alternatives:

.intranet
.internal
.private
.corp
.home
.lan

But can we guarantee that they won't be approved as new public TLDs per
the new rules adopted this summer where anything can be a TLD?

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.