BIND started several times at one time

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Nov 16 02:34:24 UTC 2011

In message <47085dc0.36001054.4ec2fd04.1d0ed at o2.pl>, =?UTF-8?Q?Aleksander_Kurcz
yk?= writes:
> Hello,
> Is it possible to run named several times at one time on one computer on one
> OS at different ports and with different config files? I would like to simula
> te multiple servers on one PC.

Yes, however it's much easier to run the on multiple address and
the same port which is what the test suite does.

The test suite uses 10.53.0.x but it is just as easy to run on
127.0.0.2, 127.0.0.3, 127.0.0.4, etc.  listen-on, transfer-source,
notify-source and query-source should be specified.  If you don't
want to run on port 53 then you should also specify "port".

You can do it all on 127.0.0.1 if you want but the configuration
will be more complicated and you won't be able to test acls easily.

Mark