Port number in A record in zone file

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Nov 17 15:43:46 UTC 2011

> > Why would you run a dns server on a non standard port? There's no way
> > for clients to query via non standard ports.
>
> I would like to make a experimental configuration simulating a few BIND
> servers on one PC (PowerMac G4 400 Mhz :) ), without virtual machines.

Take a look at how the BIND 9 automatic tests work: they're the
source tree under bind9/bin/tests/system.  There's a script in that
directory called "ifconfig.sh" which sets up alias addresses on the
loopback interface (10.53.0.1, 10.53.0.2, etc), and then the tests
can have servers running on those aliases talking to each other.
For example the "dnssec" test has a root server, TLD server, SLD
server, and several resolvers (some of them misconfigured) to
test DNSSEC validation from the root.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.