nanny (was Re: bind-9.8.1: INSIST(! dns_rdataset _isassociated(sigrdataset)) failed)

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 21:45:27 UTC 2011

On Thursday 17 November 2011 15:24:12 Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Also what other types of nanny scripts do you use? (I already saw
> other emails with a few suggestions.)

Mine is a very trivial thing, basically just:
    /sbin/pidof named || restartNamed
where "restartNamed" is a function to log the failure and run the
distributor's BIND init script. This is invoked via /etc/cron.hourly,
a run-parts(1) thing.

I figure I can afford to be without any of my authoritative NS hosts
for an hour, and for the one that serves my mail server, well, it is
only going to defer everything during the named outage, not a big
problem. Potentially less spam, actually! :)

My other authoritative NS hosts are not doing much in the way of
recursion, only serving local processes which are not very busy, so
they're not very exposed, but they are running this cron job anyway.

What I should perhaps do: separate the authoritative named instance
from the recursive one on the mail server. I suppose BIND 10 does
this, by design?