avoid-v4-udp-ports ineffective? (BIND 9.8.1-P1)

Irwin Tillman irwin at princeton.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:11:32 UTC 2011

I wrote:
> I don't understand why named would try to use these ports in the first
> place as they appear in avoid-v4-udp-ports.

Mark Andrews replied:
	The "::" in the log message is the IPv6 equivalent of 0.0.0.0 in IPv4.
	You machine *is* dual stacked even if it only has IPv6 on loopback.

Ah.   Adding avoid-v6-udp-ports has indeed solved my issue.
Thank you.

(I'd assumed BIND wouldn't be trying to open IPv6 sockets since I'd not
configured any IPv6 interfaces on the host.
'/sbin/ifconfig -a inet6;  /sbin/ifconfig -a inet' is showing
only IPv4 interfaces, not even a IPv6 loopback.)