Configuration RPZ using BIND RPM package

Spain, Dr. Jeffry A. spainj at countryday.net
Sat Nov 26 16:38:45 UTC 2011

> Is it possible in configure RPZ by download Bind.tar.gz file from isc website. if yes, do i need to remove completely all running configuration including /etc/named.rfc1912.zones and /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf files? Kindly suggest. Regards Babu

Babu: While I am an Ubuntu user, I will speculate that the situation with Redhat would be similar. I examined the standard Ubuntu bind package and wrote a short bash script to download, compile, and install a bind tarball of choice. The script starts by removing all existing bind-related packages. There are some extra directories that you have to create and some extra files you have to install to make it all work. If you extract and examine your bind RPM, you should find all the files you need, including zones.rfc1918. You can probably reuse your configuration files after reviewing them for any required changes relating to the newer version of bind and the RPZ functionality you want to add. I'll send you a copy of my installation script if that would be helpful. Regards, Jeff.

Jeffry A. Spain
Network Administrator
Cincinnati Country Day School