sub-domain setup

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Nov 28 22:39:36 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 10:20, Dan McDaniel wrote:

> I'm setting up a new DNS server. We have two offices linked by a VPN.
> I'm trying to decide whether to have everything under a single domain
> (example.com) or to split them into sub-domains (office1.example.com,
> office2.example.com).
>
> I wondered if there is a consensus on this. What are the pros and cons
> of the two different setups?

You haven't given nearly enough information. Roughly how many hosts
would be in each of the 3 zone files? Do the 2 offices share a DHCP
server? Are you doing dynamic updates? Might you ever want to have an
administrative separation between the 2 offices, such that there may be
personnel who have rights to edit one of the zone files, but not all 3?
Is one of the zones likely to be static for long periods of time, but
one or more of the others are fairly dynamic?

Without knowing more about your environment it's hard to answer your
question intelligently. :)

hth,

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."