dnssec config sanity check

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 4 01:31:20 UTC 2011

In message <4E8A5412.7050108 at acm.org>, "Paul B. Henson" writes:
> We are getting ready to deploy dnssec, and I'd appreciate a quick sanity
> check on our configuration and key timings to make sure I didn't miss
> anything that would cause things to blow up ;).
>
> Our zone data is maintained in a revision control repository; when
> changes are made there is a process that generates a bind format zone
> file from the data, checks it for syntax errors, compiles, and then
> signs it, at the end reloading the zone into bind with rndc.
>
> Our zones are configured with a 1 hour refresh/5 minute retry/two week
> expiration for zone transfers and a default TTL of 12 hours.
>
> We're using RSASHA256 for both KSK and ZSK, with a keysize of 2048 and
> 1024 respectively.
>
> The KSK's are rotated yearly on July 1 at midnight. New KSK's are
> created with a publish date set 1 year in the future, an inactive date 2
> years in the future, and a deletion date of 2 years and 14 days in the
> future. At any given time there are 2 or 3 KSK's being published: the
> key currently being used to sign the ZSK, the key that will be used to
> sign the ZSK starting at the next rotation period, and for 14 days after
> the rotation the key that was previously being used (this 14 day window
> is to ensure enough time to update the DS entries in the parent zones).

Don't ASSUME that the DS will be published in time. Build checks into
your proceedures from the beginning.  e.g.

	Publish and activate July 1. Change DS records July 8. Check
	that DS is published July 15 and set inactivate and deletion
	dates if and only if new DS is published to August 1 and
	September 1 respectively.  If the DS is not publish chase
	up with parent and recheck the next day slipping inactivate
	and deletion dates for a day for each day the DS publication
	date is past July 15.