DNSSEC Signing & Key Questions

Marc Lampo marc.lampo at eurid.eu
Wed Oct 5 06:17:31 UTC 2011

Hello,

For 3) automate zone signing and zsk roll-over

I know of no tools that are readily available

- there are appliances (look in the IPAM world of products), that handle
DNSSEC for you.

However, I have in our “DNSSEC workshop” course environment a setup that
looks at time stamps of Linux files :

- zone data is stored in files

- when the (unsigned) data has newer time stamp then signed data, script
regenerates RRSIG’s

   à to resign a zone, simply “touch” the file with unsigned data (eg once
a week)

- the script that generates RRSIG’s does so with “all available” keys

   à to perform ZSK rollover, simply add new ZSK/delete old ZSK (at
appropriate time)
        and “touch” the file with unsigned data

            (!!! Do respect key timing for deleting the old ZSK !!!)

- same principle works for KSK rollover as well,
   but the challenge there is to inform the parent of new KSK

           (!!! + key timing matters !!!)

Using time stamps of files kind of uses the Linux file system as
“database”;

Should work if the number of files is not too big – one would have to
consider using a real DB for larger number of zones.

Success with your move towards DNSSEC.

Kind regards,

Marc Lampo

Security Officer