changing ttl of mx record

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 16:34:52 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 15:42, enigmedia wrote:
> Hi All: If I need to set a short TTL prior to an MX IP change, do I need to
> modify the TTL of the MX record, or just the A record the MX points to?
> (There's just a single A record for the MX).

You want to drop the TTL on the RR where the data -- the RHS of the
zonefile -- changes.  So if you have:

example.com.		IN MX	10 smtp.example.com.
smtp.example.com.	IN A	192.0.2.1

and you want to change that to

example.com.		IN MX	10 smtp.example.com.
smtp.example.com.	IN A	192.0.2.25

then you only need to shorten the TTL on the A record, not the MX record.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3