host versus nslookup

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Wed Oct 12 21:46:09 UTC 2011

On 12/10/11 22:33, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Sten Carlsen <stenc at s-carlsen.dk> wrote:
>>> Use dig.
>>>
>>> Always use dig.
>> I don't quite agree, for debugging bind, use dig - for debugging lookup
>> issues on some machine, host will behave more like any normal program, using
>> resolv.conf and what else and can point to some issues dig will not
>> discover. E.g. normal SW using something else than DNS, because of some
>> setup. Dig will never catch this.
> If you're concern about what address programs gets when they resolve
> host names, then getent is a better choice as it also respects
> nsswitch.conf and hosts file.
I just tried to make the point that dig is NOT always the perfect tool,
it depends what you want to know. Using dig tells you about DNS, host
and getent and even nslookup tells you more about the behaviour of your
system.

The right combination of those tools tells you what you need, not one
single tool.

I was not aware of getent, so thanks for that.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: