Fix for CVE-2006-2073

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Oct 19 00:32:48 UTC 2011

In message <87k482kw0l.fsf at mid.deneb.enyo.de>, Florian Weimer writes:
> I've noticed that nobody seems to have accurate information about
> CVE-2006-2073 on file.  This was a vulnerability in handling
> TSIG-based authentication *after* authentication, so it wasn't a high
> priority issue.

Actually it required the target server to be configured as a slave
to a custom built rogue master or for the attacker be in a position
to intercept the AXFR/IXFR request to a non compromised master.  It
also required that TSIG not be being used to authenticate the
AXFR/IXFR request.

Access Vector: Network exploitable
Access Complexity: Low
Authentication: Not required to exploit
Impact Type:Allows disruption of service

I fail to see how this could ever have been classified as
Access Complexity: Low.

Looking at the CVE it looks like this bug fix contains the correction.

2013.   [bug]           Handle unexpected TSIGs on unsigned AXFR/IXFR

> What was the first BIND version that fixed it?

9.2.7, 9.3.3, 9.4.0.