NS also in SOA doesn't get NOTIFY

Jonathan Stewart jonathan.stewart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 19:06:37 UTC 2011

You have a good point.  That SOA MNAME is used in a very limited way,
and is not involved in DNS resolution, which is what i'm concerned
about.  We are not using DDNS, so i could put any value in there.

However, i have some desire to make my SOA 'clean', meaning not
putting nonsense values in SOA records.

Thanks for the helpful tips!
Jonathan

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:51, Alan Clegg <alan at clegg.com> wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 11:02 AM, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
>
>> Also, is this normal/expected behaviour?  How can i get ns0 (and the
>> others) to NOTIFY ns1 when the serial is incremented?  Must i use an
>> explicit {also-notify} ?
>
> Yes, this is expected.  Since NS1 is the "master" server (since it is in
> the SOA), it is not necessary for it to ever be notified.
>
> As Kevin noted, unless you are doing dynamic DNS, feel free to put
> something else into the SOA, or use "also-notify {};"
>
> AlanC
> --
> alan at clegg.com | aclegg at infoblox.com
>          1.919.355.8851