[UNsolved] was: what does dig +trace do?

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Sep 2 08:01:25 UTC 2011

Hi Tom,
At 23:42 01-09-2011, Tom Schmitt wrote:
>But seriously: I don't see in the RFC that it is forbidden to have a
>hostname directly in the root-zone (without a internal dot).

 From RFC 921:

   "The names are being changed from simple names, or globally unique
    strings, to structured names, where each component name is unique
    only with respect to the superior component name."

   "Because of the growth of the Internet, structured names (or
    domain style names) have been introduced.  Each element of the
    structured name will be a character string (with the same
    constraints that previously applied to the simple names).  The
    elements (or components) of the structured names are separated
    with periods, and the elements are written from the most
    specific on the left to the most general on the right."

The above discusses about hierarchical names.  It is about how the
system was designed to work and not about what is forbidden.  The
syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952,
updated by RFC 1123.

Regards,
-sm