couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#54 error

michoski michoski at cisco.com
Wed Sep 7 17:02:54 UTC 2011

On 9/7/11 9:39 AM, "Norman Fournier" <norman at normanfournier.com> wrote:
> I was running BIND successfully on OS X 10.4 Tiger. That webserver crashed and
> I replaced it with a new cpu and installed OS X 10.5 Leopard and have
> encountered a number of errors in my configuration. This is the latest error
> from the old config files. Any suggestions or pointers as to what might be
> using this address or how I could find out would be appreciated.

I'm guessing the BIND upgrade caused your startup script, named.conf
location, or something critical to change location...

Cliché I know, but there are good pointers on Google:

http://is.gd/create.php

> Sep  7 09:27:55 norman-fourniers-mac-mini named[3500]: could not listen on UDP
> socket: address in use

"Address in use" almost always means what it says -- something else has
already bound to the port in question.  See what's running:

netstat -an | grep LISTEN

If that doesn't make things clear, try running "named -g" and watch output.

Good luck!

--
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.