DiG "unexpected source" with a Subnet-Router anycast address

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Sep 7 20:22:45 UTC 2011

Why are you trying to use the SRAA for DNS resolution? SRAA has a
special meaning to network-infrastructure devices; I don't think it was
ever intended for anycasting general network services. Just pick one of
your global-unicast address, and anycast that instead.

There was an old Internet-Draft specifying common *site-local* addresses
for DNS resolvers, but that draft expired many years ago, and since
site-local itself has been deprecated, could be considered doubly
obsolete. (Although I still see those fec0:* addresses appended to the
resolver list on a Windows XP PC with IPv6 enabled).

Note that RFC 4291 obsoletes RFC 3513 which obsoletes RFC 2373.

                                         - Kevin