Want to know if there is any way to add custom RR type.(like ip & ipv6)

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Sep 13 14:47:07 UTC 2011

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:49 AM, Onha Choe wrote:

> Im trying to make a new addressing scheme, and want to use bind to provide name service.
>
> The addressing is not compatible with known ones, and thus need to extend to support mine.
>
> Is there any way to do this?

Yes.

> preferably innately supported by bind9?

Yes...

But, be *VERY VERY* careful here -- I'm going ot assume that you are only doing this as an internal test / example, with a *very* limited number of  participants.
You should *really* document what it is that you are trying to do with this addressing scheme in an Internet-Draft and apply for a RR code point so that you won't conflict with anyone (65280-65534  are "Reserved for Private Use", so you should be OK, but keep the above in mind...)...

Here is how:

So, for example:

test.example.com    IN    TYPE65532 \# 3 010203

is a RR of type 65532, it's 3 octets long, and the data is 010203.