Delegation check failed

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Sep 20 22:40:57 UTC 2011

On 09/20/11 13:37, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I didn't specify the IPs but it found them - that is to say when I input my first DNS server it automatically populated the IP address field.  This was on the iis.se site as I noted in my original post.
>
> My read of "glue records" is that they are A records within a zone file for DNS servers that are part of the same domain as the zone being described.
>
> Based on that my glue records in water.com zone file for domain water.com in zone file water.com do exist as shown in my original post:
> dswadns1        IN A    12.44.84.213
> dswadns2        IN A    12.44.84.214
>
> Also it seems Glue records are only necessary for subdomains and I'm not using a subdomain here - I'm not trying to delegate to any subdomain.
>
> So both my Registrar and I have things associating dswadns1.water.com with IP 12.44.84.213 and dswadns2.water.com with 12.44.84.214.   I'm still mystified as to what the delegation message is trying to tell me.

This is NOT the defination of glue records.

See RFC 1033 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System for
more information.

Glue records need to exist in the delegating zone servers.  In this case
.com needs to know the ip address for the DNS servers for water.com.
These records that need to exist in .com are called glue records.  .com
needs to know where dswadns1.water.com and dswadns2.water.com and this
is done via glue records.

This is what I meant by registering your name servers.  Then the .com
servers know the ip address of the dns servers for waters.com.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.