DNS-cache with custom gTLDs

Drunkard Zhang gongfan193 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 00:49:58 UTC 2011

2011/9/23 Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com>:
> On 9/21/2011 10:01 PM, Drunkard Zhang wrote:
>>>
>>> Why are you going through all of these gyrations? The forwarding
>>> algorithm
>>> in BIND has for a long time been based on RTT, so if one forwarder, or a
>>> set
>>> of forwarders, stops working, the other(s) will be used automatically. In
>>> other words, forwarder failover works without any special configuration.
>>>
>>> I don't even understand your "forward first" solution. "Forward first"
>>> says
>>> to use iterative (non-recursive) resolution if forwarding fails (i.e. all
>>> the forwarders are non-responsive). How then can you use it to fail over
>>> from one set of forwarders to another? I don't get it. If you send a
>>> non-recursive query to a forwarder, you're at the mercy of whatever
>>> happens
>>> to be in its cache at that particular time. You can't get reliable
>>> resolution that way.
>>>
>> Oops, I misunderstood. But I want to resolve this problem: take
>> news.qq.com for example, I DID saw that it's unresolvable to one group
>> (they returned NXDomain), at meantime it's no problem to another
>> group, and "dig news.qq.com +trace" returned correct answer on both
>> group. It seems like it's just a temporary failure, but I want to
>> correct. Any other choices?
>
> NXDOMAIN is a *permanent* response; at least it's "permanent" in the absence
> of any change the relevant DNS RRset or zone.
>
> You're almost certainly getting the NXDOMAIN because you're spoofing the
> root servers, and your "fake" root servers don't have the same knowledge as
> the real ones, so they'll return NXDOMAIN for some queries (whereas dig
> +trace does not, because it follows the hierarchy down and asks different
> nameservers). In other words, you're shooting yourself in the foot with your
> hints-file trickery.

No, I got 2 layers of DNS, recursive resolution DNS and dns-cache
which forward all it's queries to recursive DNS. I want the spoofing
of root servers happened on dns-cache (still not by now), I certainly
won't spoofing root-servers on recursive DNS.

The NXDOMAIN returned from one group of recursive DNS is temporary
failure, while it's successed from another group of recursive DNS. But
I want the dns-cache return successed all the time, so I hope the
dns-cache ignore NXDomain from one, and forward the same query to
another recursive DNS again, guess this can't be done with bind :-(