CNAME or A record?

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 14:47:57 UTC 2011

Either is fine. Using the cname would require a single update if your ip
changes, but prevents other records at the same level. So you couldn't
attach mx for instance at example.com and www.example.com if you wanted to.

Neither is wrong and both have pros and  cons

-Ben Croswell
On Sep 28, 2011 10:43 AM, "feralert" <feralert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> But I really only wrote that as an example :) . The real question is
> what is best or what is recommended, two A RR (one for domain, one for
> www) or a single A RR for domain and a CNAME RR for www, is one way
> better than the other or can I choose either way?
>
> Cheers!,
> Fred.
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com>
wrote:
>> If you set your SOA properly to use "@" (which means "this zone") your A
records should be:

>> domain.com.             A       1.1.1.1
>> www                     A       1.1.1.1
>>
>> The SOA should append the "domain.com" to every record not terminated by
a dot so that "www" is read as "www.domain.com".  Similarly you put a dot at
the end of domain.com A record to prevent it from being appended and read as
domain.com.domain.com.

bind-users-bounces+jlightner=water.com at lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of feralert
>> Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:20 AM
>> To: bind-users at isc.org
>> Subject: CNAME or A record?
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm sure this has been asked trillions of times but since I couldn't
>> find any concrete answer/reference in google I am asking you guys in
>> this list. Sorry if anyone thinks this a dumb question or something
>> very obvious.
>>
>> The thing is that i want users redirected to 'www.domain.com' even
>> when they just type the domain name 'domain.com'.
>> In order to do so I am not sure if its best to have one A RR for each
>> or have an A RR for the domain and a CNAME RR pointing to 'domain.com'
>> for 'www.domain.com'.
>>

>> domain.com           A            1.1.1.1
>> www.domain.com   A            1.1.1.1
>>
>> OR
>>
>> domain.com           A            1.1.1.1
>> www.domain.com   CNAME  domain.com
>>

>> Any help appreciated.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Fred
>>

>> Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)
>> Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or
confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have
received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.