True queries per second?

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 17:15:39 UTC 2011

On Sep 28 2011, Baird, Josh wrote:

>I'm looking at the output from 9.7's "rndc stats," and I see both
>incoming and outgoing statistics.  I'm trying to get a true queries per
>second stat from these numbers.  Wouldn't this be both incoming+outgoing
>queries?

That depends entirely on what you mean by "a true queries per second stat".
Incoming queries are those sent by clients to the nameserver. Outgoing
queries are those the nameserver sent to other nameservers, in the course
of resolving the client queries, or for some other reason.

>          Or, from a performance standpoint should I only be concerned
>about incoming queries?  In this case:
>
>+++ Statistics Dump +++ (1317224125)
>++ Incoming Requests ++
>               43128 QUERY
>++ Incoming Queries ++
>               28719 A
>                 381 NS
>                  22 CNAME
>                  16 SOA
>                 811 PTR
>                5269 MX
>                 629 TXT
>                6721 AAAA
>                  15 SRV
>                 141 A6
>                   2 DS
>                 266 SPF
>                 136 ANY
>
>The "incoming requests" (43128) number is the total number of
>requests/queries.

Just because in this case all the requests were queries. In general
there might be other types of request - e.g. IQUERY, NOTIFY, UPDATE.

The breakdown of queries by type is just that - the numbers in your
example do add up to 43128.

>                  So to get a TOTAL queries per second on all types of
>queries, I would perform calculations on this number, correct?

If you are interested in queries per second sent to the nameserver,
yes. (This doesn't of course necessarily mean queries successfully
responded to from the client's point of view.)

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk