NXDOMAIN redirection in BIND 9.9

michoski michoski at cisco.com
Fri Sep 30 18:16:08 UTC 2011

On 9/30/11 10:12 AM, "John Wobus" <jw354 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> I'm a BIND user who is clamoring to keep such a feature out of BIND.

In reality, there are plenty of you (us)...  However, as usual (and
particularly for anything ruled by committee), a few (often with the most
capital) will ruin it for the many.  For better or worse, that's how society
works...  I doubt we can change that in one lifetime.  ;-)

While I'd prefer to do the right thing from a technical perspective (e.g.
aligning with the protocol's inventor seems sensical), "choice" is usually
the best approach...  If some ISPs want to (ab)use this, the smart users
will change ISPs.  As others pointed out, the bad ISPs will (and have)
do(ne) it regardless of BIND support.

--
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.