Question about forwarders statements in 9.7

Matt Doughty mdoughty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 06:19:50 UTC 2012

I was under the impression that bind would determine the best target
forwarders to use, and send queries to those forwarders, but we had a
situation over the weekend where one of the servers in the forwarder
list was down, and bind continued to send queries to that forwarder
even though it wasn't responding. It also seemed to be using a
balanced round-robin which certainly doesn't make sense if it was
weighting the forwarders based on RTT.

Can anyone tell me how the algorithm for forwarders works?

thanks,

--
--Matt